The Mechanical Design Engineer designs new products, identifies improvements to existing products, and performs continuous improvements to identify and capture manufacturing throughput improvements. The successful candidate must have knowledge in the design and implementation of industrial electromechanical equipment which may also include hydraulic and pneumatic components or subassemblies. Works with all team members of MTC to ensure all constraints are considered for optimal design of equipment and manufacturing processes. Oversees the work of other engineers, drafters and craftsmen as assigned. Requires an ABET accredited bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering. Able to plan and complete a varied, demanding, and time-constrained workload. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Limited travel will be required.
Education and Experience
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an ABET accredited school in Mechanical Engineering.
- Ensures all safety and governmental requirements are met in the design of equipment.
- Consults with customers as well as the MTC Sales, Service, Manufacturing, and Maintenance departments to determine optimal equipment and manufacturing process designs for MTC to satisfy market needs.
- Leads and/or assists with R & D and prototype development.
- Provides technical support for manufacturing, service, installation, and sales on an as needed basis.
- Establish and coordinate the equipment maintenance and safety procedures, service schedule and recommended spare parts list.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and make recommendations as required to eliminate future failures.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Study industrial processes to determine where and how application of equipment can be made.
- Write performance requirements for product development or engineering projects.
- Any other duties as assigned.