In a fast-paced, manufacturing facility, the Fit-up Welder reads and uses blueprints, tape measure, square, appropriate MIG welding machine to fit-up, tack, and finish welding for mild steel products. Requires shop math skills including knowledge of angles. Requires knowledge of general shop practices and shop safety. Must be able to recognize and measure various steel types and sizes. Studies indicate that the noise from welding equipment exceed OSHA limitations during an 8-hour weighted average. This position will require a hearing conservation baseline and entry into the hearing conservation program. The use of hearing protection is a requirement of this position. Requires good oral communication skills, listening skills, and ability to learn. Works independently and in cooperation with other employees. Operates forklift truck, overhead cranes and hoists.
1. Attendance- present at scheduled shift to perform assigned tasks.
2. Comply with Shop and Department Safety Rules and practices.
3. Safely operate MIG welding equipment, grinders, band saws, and pneumatic tools.
4. Accurately read and interpret blueprints.
5. Ability to fit-up, tack, and finish welding for mild steel and stainless-steel products within close tolerances.
6. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and carry for distances to 25 feet.
7. Other duties may be assigned.